Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Kite Runner, Reflection Four

From the point that I was at in my reading it appeared that the book was winding down because Amir has a good job as a writer, a wife, and a nice house. As I continued reading on I noticed how wrong I was when Amir’s past comes back to haunt him when he received a call from Rahim Khan telling Amir that he was dying and he wanted Amir to return to Afghanistan to see him before he died. By this time Amir was 38 years old yet going back to Afghanistan was haunting to Amir because Rahim Khan was such a big part in the childhood that Amir wanted to forget. This section in the book reminded me of how we can never escape our past no matter how hard we try to. After this section Amir go’s to Rahim Khan’s house where Rahim Khan informs Amir that Hassan was actually his brother and he has a son that he wants Amir to go get. This is because Hassans wife and him were killed. The message that I took from this is that even though you may have physically escaped from your problems eventually you will need to go back to make them right. This exact message was told to Amir earlier in the book even though he didn’t understand it. This came from Rahim Khan when he stated to to Amir, “Come. There is a way to be good again”. (192)

No comments: