Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kite Runner, Reflection Five.

“But all I could manage was to whisper, “No. No. No” over and over again. (219). This was Amir’s reaction to Hassan’s brutal death. This quote was significant in the progression of Kite Runner because it appears that Amir is really trying very hard to right his wrongs. From were I left off in my reading Amir has begun his journey to find Hassan’s son; this is also where I am introduced to Amirs driver Farid. The reason I bring Farid's name up is because he brings up a very common stereotype about Americans that still exists. This came about when Farid stated, “Why are you coming back here anyway? Sell off your Baba’s land? Pocket the money and run back to your mother in America?" (233). I feel that this shows how third world countries or just other countries in general view America. Although this is a vary big misconception about America, it can be proven that we do seem to screw over other nations for our own good time to time. This same message also made me think about the relationship between Amir and Hassan back when they were children. The reason for this is that Hassan was a loyal servent and friend to Amir but Amir screwed him the first chance he got. I am starting to see a pattern that Khaled Hosseini put into Kite Runner, the message being that people are filled with greed and selfishness. In the book alown we see it through the Taliban, Amir, his father Baba, and the list goes on.

1 comment:

Teacher: Mrs. Jarrett said...

5 of 6 posts. Posts are complete. 42/50.