Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Kite Runner 2nd Reflection

As I continued reading Kite Runner this week I noticed a progression in selfishness and betrayal from Amir towards his servant and loyal friend Hassan. This all seemed to happen because Amir felt his father did not love him more or even as much as his servant Hassan. A quote that stuck out to me this week stated, “The chill between Baba and me thawed a little, And the reason for that was the kites. Baba and I lived in the same house but in different spheres of existence. Kites were the one paper thin slice of intersection between those spheres.” (49). Not only did this quote help set the stage for the rest of this book but it also explained the title “Kite Runner” to me. Amir felt this was his chance to make his dad proud and break the “sphere” in between them. As the book went on Amir ended up winning the kite flying contest, but he also viewed his friend Hassan get beat up and raped and didn’t defend him. This was one of biggest events I feel has happened in the book so far because I feel that it illustrates how everyone wants to be a perfect friend, or just generally a perfect person and they get angry when they figure out they can’t. Well in Kite Runner Hassan is the perfect friend and Amir gets angry he cannot be thus resulting in Amir gradually pushing Hassan out of his life resulting in Hassan and his father moving out of Amir and Baba’s house.

1 comment:

ben b said...

ha his name is baba